East Common Houses formerly known as The Dirt Houses
The houses at the bottom end of East Common are built in an irregular pattern. It has been suggested that this is because small shelters put up by Irish refugees from the potato famines of the 1890’s were allowed on the land. They were known as ‘Dirt Houses’ and held by squatter’s title. Any information on these houses would be welcome.