Common Road The Parish Centre
The site of the Parish Centre was the location of a specially built nursery before the Second World War. Working mothers could leave their children there. At one stage, the Infant School operated from the same building. The site was also used by the Youth Club. The Scout hut is the gabled ended hut on the left. Between the two buildings in the background a path led into The Park (before the houses were built) and on into Chequer Lane.
The picture below shows the children outside the classroom in 1959. The scout hut is in the background.