High St. Hardings & Walkers Garage
The Walker family were well known in the village.
May Walker was the daughter of the coach builder who had premises at the top end of the village. She had a great interest in motor bikes and was a well-known figure in the village on her bike as she set up her tripod to photograph village scenes. She also wrote an early history of the village. Tragically she was killed in a motor accident just after proof reading the final chapters of the book.
Once motor cars became more common her father’s business became a garage and filling station – Walkers Garage. The clock has been erected in what would have been the garage forecourt and can still be seen today.
The 1878 map of Redbourn shows a Smithy on this site.
Walker was also heavily involved in house building in the village. Between the wars, he bought old and used bricks from all over the country and when he had sufficient would build another house. These houses are in Crouch Hall Lane, Crouch Hall Gardens and Bettespool Meadows.
The garage was closed in ? and new houses were built on the site.