High St. No.16
This building was constructed in the 16th or even 15th century and has a timber frame range that was altered in the 17th century and refronted in the early and late 19th century. The interior displays a 16th century cross wing on the north with moulded floor beams. The two bays to the south are of late 17th century construction. From the rear the heavy early framing can be clearly seen. From the 1780’s the building became an inn, first known as ‘The Lamb’. The first owner was Mrs. Leighton and inn keeper George Baldock, by 1790 John Crabb had taken over ownership with James Sibley as innkeeper. The inn changed name by 1816 to ‘the Lion and Lamb’ and ownership passed by 1843 to John Pryor employing William Dunkley. With the coming of the railway to the town in 1877, the name of the inn was changed again to ‘the Railway’ run by Edwin Stace. When sold in 1919 the sale documents give a good description of the building. It consisted of – a parlour with conservatory, bagatelle room, five bedrooms, and a coach house and stable for three horses. It was bought by the Watford brewery – Benskins. Licence holders were – W.C. Mills (1909 -1930) East family (1931 – 1956). The inn closed in 1965 and became living accommodation.