High St. No.78

This house and shop was constructed in the 17th century and is timbered framed. It was fronted with bricks in the 19th century and converted to a double fronted shop in the 20th century. The interior is made up of two bays with chamfer-stopped floor beams. There is also a shallow cellar on the northern side. In the 17 or18th century it was extended at the rear with a lateral stack. It was, at the end of the 19th century the premises of a corn chandler, then a sweet shop and later in the 20th century a saddlers and a shop specializing in fitted interiors. More recently it has been a photographic studio and now an opticians.  

Around 1900
Rear of No. 78

Leave a comment

Charity Information

Chair : Ian Caldwell
Treasurer : Teresa Finnigan
Secretary : Russell Thomas

Latest News

As you may be aware St Georges are consulting on changing their admissions criteria to no longer allocating 20% of available places to the villages. Read More