High St. Nos. 22, 24 & 26
The last shop in this 19th century row of cottages, now the Hub, was Sid Webb’s sweet shop (see 1936 photo below). Next door at No.24, now an antique shop there have been a number of businesses. The first to be mentioned was the beer house named ‘The Lark’. In 1860 Thomas Thoroughgood stole lead from the house of Lady Glamis in Redbourn and sold it to George Weston the licensee at the Lark. Between 1879 and 1897 the beerhouse was owned by the Bowes-Lyon family and leased out to Thomas Jarman and Mrs., M. A Jarman. By about 1904 the beerhouse had closed and became (1910) a wet fish shop, a furniture and toy shop, the ‘Lark Launderette’ (1970), an antique shop and now a photographic studio.