High St. Nos. 35 & 37 (The George Public House)
This building has a 17th century frame. In the 19th century a brick façade was added and it is now painted on the main part of the pub. The roof is plain tile and has wide wooden eaves. It consists of two storeys and the upper floor has four sash windows. The windows either side of the door are wider and have moulded wood frames and flat cornice hoods. There are two doors into the building and the carriage entrance has wooden beams. There is evidence that the building was being used as an inn during the early 16th century, between 1587 and 1630 Finch family were occupants passing it down father to son, George, John and lastly Jeremy- who surrendered it to William Hawes in 1630. Looking at the photos, the building does have two separate parts. It was divided into two dwellings in 1689 and only became one building again in 1796. It appears as the place of registration of a Friendly Society in 1808. By 1826, when Leonard Noddle was the inn keeper, there were large stables behind the inn, a well-stocked cellar and extensive kitchen space. By 1839, the inn was known as ‘The George and Dragon’. Again in 1859 part of the property became living accommodation. By the 1880’s the inn was owned by the Kingsbury Brewery and the forge in the coach-house was operated by Joseph Warwick. In the 20th century, the longest serving licensee was Charles Bradsell – 1899-1933.