High St. Nos. 68 & 70
This shop with an adjoining house was probably built in the 17th century as it has a timber frame ridge. In the 18th or early 19th century it took on its present appearance. On the house the 16th century cross beams can still be seen. The roof is plain tile. The first floor of the shop has mid-19th century sash windows. It seems likely that this building has been connected with the apothecary trade for many years. The first – George Hawkins died in 1722. Henry Pitkin is recorded as having a shop in the High Street in 1839 and being a ‘druggist’. He was followed by James Harrison as ‘druggist and chemist’ in 1850. The best remembered from the 20th century was George Wilson, who ran the same shop from 1937 -1978. After lying empty for some years, it is now the Bike Loft.