High St. The Police Station
Redbourn had a ‘lock up’ in the Market House after 1707. In the 19th century the police station on the corner of the High Street and Fish Street had cells and a front desk. It can be seen in this photo taken in the early 1940's. The police station was demolished after the war so that Fish Street could be widened.
George Gay was Redbourn's policeman for several years between and during the wars. He is seen at the police station cells.