High Street No.80
This building is a 16th and 17th century timber framed house which, in the 19th century was plastered. The roof is steep pitched and has plain tiles. On the south side of the building the interior has a chamfer-stopped beam and restored inglenook. The building is of great interest historically. The land originally belonged to the Manor of St Amphiballs. In the Gorhambury Records for 1760, the building is referred to as ‘Mother Rednap’ cottage. By 1799 it was divided into two tenements and the tenant was Elisabeth Legg. Other copy owners included Rebecca Brandreth whose name is linked with other Redbourn inns including the Chopping Knife, the Holly Bush and the Cock. It had probably ceased trading as an inn by 1803 when William Green became the copy holder.
Passing through various owners in the later 19th century, it became a baker’s shop (Richard Figg) a grocery shop (Alfred Figg) at the turn of the 20th century. By the 1930’s and 40’s it was a barber’s shop run by A (Goffy) Wilson. By 1952 it was a fishmongers followed by a greengrocers run by firstly the Draper family, then by the Govan family. By 1979 it was Ackroyd’s baker’s shop, followed by a tea room and it is now a storage area for the Hub cycle shop. The house is now a private residence.