Hill Farm Winches on the Hill / Finches on the Hill
This farm appears from the early 17th century (1638) as Hill Farm but the name of the farm could have come originally from Geoffrey ate Hulle of 1294. It appears as Finches on the Hill being farmed by Nicholas Finch (1540 -1605?). He married Margaret and they had three sons Robert (1570-?)an apprentice and freeman of the Stationers’ Company in London, George (1574-?) and Thomas. By 1767 it is recorded as Winches on the Hill. In the 1851 census the farm consisted of about 350 acres.