There is old and new Jeromes. First mentioned in 1455 when the Precentor of St Albans Abbey held the land. Members of the Jerome family are mentioned later. In the 1851 census the farm is noted as having between 140 and 150 acres. Another mention comes in 1908 when it was suggested that an isolation hospital be set up in ‘Old Woman’s Field’ near Jeromes.