West Common Mansdale Cottages/ Mansdale Dairy
These are two thatched cottages Grade II listed. The right hand one was the Mansdale Dairy. When the cottages were sold in 1892 from the Bowes-Lyons Estate, they were described as ‘four brick and plaster cottages’. They have timber frames of the late 17th or early 18th century. The thatched roof is in three sections, including a 19th / 20th century addition at the Eastern end. There are one and a half storeys. There are five regularly spaced wide eaves dormer windows. The houses have two square red brick central chimney stacks. Thatch End has two box thatched bay windows. Mansdale has four two light ground floor casements. The earliest record of them is in the 1753 Land Tax.